That’s what I was thinking as we were enjoying a late lunch in a shopping plaza in Winter Park, Florida. Tibby’s New Orleans Kitchen is latest restaurant creation from the talented guy’s who brought us Tijuana Flats – think Taco Tuesday. Tibby’s brings a little flavor of Louisiana to Central Florida and is cooking up a storm. The restaurant was packed at 3pm in the afternoon [just one sign of success]. The interior is warm and whimsical with some flat screen televisions in the bar where I’m sure there is a very “happening” happy hour.
Unlike Tijuana Flats, Tibby’s is a full-service experience with very attentive service. We skipped the appetizers to leave room for desert, but more about that later.
Here’s what we tried…
Shrimp & Andouille Cheese Grits $13
Wow… The flavors and textures really made this dish. The spicy shrimp were firm, but not overcooked and were a sharp contrast to the creamy grits. The red wine gravy spiked with Andouille sausage was robust without overpowering the delicate shrimp. I should have taken an after picture, I soaked up every ounce of that gravy with the bread. It was outstanding and I would definitely order it again, once I work my way through some of the other menu items.
Parrish Country Fried Steak $11
This isn’t your grandma’s country fried steak, it’s jacked up with a king size helping of cheese grits. I know, you’re thinking you’re going to drive over there right now. The steak was moist and tender and complimented by the red wine gravy that had a little kick of Andouille sausage; which added more flavor than spice for those of you who don’t like it too hot. Again, the bread came in handy and we were both members of the clean plate club.
Beignets $2.75 [for 3]
Beignets are just fluffy little pockets of heaven. Order the “family size” portion of 7 for $5, they are worth it!
What you can expect at Tibby’s New Orleans Kitchen:
- The restaurant has a fun, family friendly atmosphere.
- Casual Dress or Sunday Best! I saw a few suits and some folks wearing flip-flops and shorts.
- There was a medium noise level in the open dining room / bar area, not too loud that you couldn’t hold a conversation, but it’s not quiet either.
- Wide variety of menu options – check them all out by clicking this link…
- You get a lot of bang for your buck. It was a quality over quantity situation, I was satisfied after my meal, but not stuffed.
- Tibby’s has a full bar and makes a great Bloody Mary.
- Tibby’s is a restaurant you will want to go back to.
Check out Tibby’s for yourself:
- Please click this link to visit Tibby’s New Orleans Kitchen website
- Please click this link to Go To Tibby’s in real life – map
- Call Tibby’s @ 407-672-5753
Have you been to Tibby’s? I’d love to hear from you if you have or if you have a favorite place I should try out. Please leave a comment in the section below this post.